Joe Fuller, Assistant Instructor Trainer at Diventures in North, Liberty, Iowa, is now a scuba merit badge counselor for Boys Scouts of America (BSA). As a counselor, Joe is now a teacher and mentor to Scouts as they progress through their scuba course. And because Joe is now a counselor, Scouts have the opportunity to earn a merit badge for completing the course through Diventures in North Liberty.
Merit badge counselors play a key role in the Scouts BSA advancement program. Whatever your area of expertise or interest is in, you are vital in growing the Scout’s development of that discipline. Their mission is to combine fun with learning and share their time and knowledge with the Scouts. The counselor presents an opportunity for growth that could possibly turn into a lifelong hobby or career for the Scouts.
In order for a Scout, to earn their scuba diving merit badge, they must complete the following requirements:
1. Show that you know first aid for injuries and illnesses that could occur while scuba diving. Identify conditions that must exist before performing CPR on a person.
2. Earn their swimming merit badge.
3. Discuss the Scuba Diver’s Code with your merit badge counselor.
4. Earn an Open Water Diver Certification from a scuba organization recognized by the Boy Scouts of America scuba policy.
5. Explain what an ecosystem is and describe four aquatic ecosystems.
6. Find a career in the scuba industry that may be of interest. Learn about the education, training, and experience required for the role. (usscouts.org)
Our locations in Sun Prairie and Fitchburg, Wisconsin can offer the swim and first aid merit badges for scouts. Our Omaha location can offer swim merit badges.
Diving at Diventures
Diving isn’t just for adults. Children as young as ten years old can learn to dive at Diventures. Diventures offers a program specifically designed for kids and their young imaginations.
Junior Open Water Diver
Junior Open Water Divers is designed for kids 10-14 years old. Just like the adult course, the junior open water diving course consists of three parts: home study, academic reviews and pool sessions, and open water training dives.
After completion students will be certified to dive to 40 feet with a certified adult. This course is available for children 12-14 years olds. 10 and 11-year-olds can be certified through private classes. Once the diver turns 15, they will automatically have their certification upgraded to an Open Water Diver.
Take advantage of Diventures Junior Open Water Diver program for your child or grandchild.
This program is truly unique, especially in the midwest! Giving the gift of scuba to a child is a powerful way to open doors to a world of wonder, adventure, and fun that will last a lifetime!
Learn more about the program and class dates here.